[lbo-talk] Southern vs. Northern Violence

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 9 08:03:42 PDT 2007

> No, the statuary makes all the difference.

Not according to my husband. He says that his experience of racism in the North is indistinguishable from the racism down South. He adds that in many ways the North is more pernicious because of the illusion that the North is a less racist place than the South.

> Again, the South -- not the North -- maintains monuments
to this day to honor those who fought to defend the right of white people to own black people

Both places maintain patterns of segregated housing and denial of job advancement. My husband says this is far worse than some statues.

Also, he is curious about your own experience of racism. How has your experience of racism differed in the North than in the South?

Brian