[lbo-talk] Russia (was kvetching...)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 09:07:39 PDT 2007

I take no pleasure from the destruction of Russia. And if if I did, it would be irrelevant to the validity of what I said.

I think that people on the list should avoid psychologizing and stick to arguments. I haves peculations about the psychodynamics behinds various people's ratiocinations on this list, and I try to keep them to myself. They are, like others' about mine, almost certain wrong and normally will provoke anger if voiced, since virtually the only reason to offer such pop psychology is to suggest (a) that what your interlocutor says is so stupid that it is not worth serious consideration and (b) requires an explanation based on an ulterior, preferably an embarrassing motive or mental defect.

James's reading of the decline in percentage of capital formation in Russian GDP is defective. If Russia were developing industrially, that figure would be rising. Is has been in China, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, right Doug? Absolutely, there is more capital investment in Russia than in '98; that follows from the figure remaining constant while GDP had risen. That's the "nowhere to go but up" effect, though, I suspect.

Russia's development has not flattened off due to diminishing marginal returns on investment -- the curve is inverted. In developing countries you get a big increase in capital investment as a percentage of GDP, them it falls off as the returns on each unit expended becomes less. In Russia's case, you got a big fall that has now leveled off. That's better than free fall, but it's not economic development. Russia's situation looks like a classic raw materials export driven boom.

If it is necessary to say so, I wish it were not so. I love Russia and wish the Russian people the best and their leaders long prison terms.