[lbo-talk] Southern vs. Northern violence

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed May 9 13:36:59 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 12:46 AM, tfast wrote:

> No I mean how it was sold to the public. I quick troll of right
> wing blogs
> and this is still very much treated as an affair about honour.

And while I don't share Carl's view of the South as hopelessly and irredeemably backward, the military and these wars are more popular in the South than in other regions.

Doug

^^^^^

CB: Yea, "patriotism" might express it better than "honor". West Point's motto is "Courage, honor, conquer". The Southern population might have a higher level of patriotism than the North, which is a historical twist, since the South's regional identity is tied to the war for the South to secede. Maybe Southern hyper-patriotism is compensation for mass treason in the Civil War.

The thread sort of moved from which region is more/less violent to which region is more/less racist. I'm Black , but I haven't spent much time in the South, so it is hard for me to make a comparison based on personal experience (which would be anecdotal anyway).

As a generalization, it seems the South is more politically reactionary or rightwing than the North (not focussing on racism or violence). That's why Nixon established the Southern strategy, why Reagan started his campaign in Philadelphia , Mississippi.