[lbo-talk] Russia's economy (now question of consent)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 11:54:09 PDT 2007

Obviously I am aware of the horrors of both regimes.

Next thing you will be making me an apologist for totalitarianism.

And you can believe it or not, but living standards and GDP per capita, along with other measures of well-being increased in Germany significantly in the late 30s from the early years -- Hitler's military Keynesianism really worked. It goes without saying that even in the 1930s Nazi Germany was a nightmare if you were a Jew, a Communist, a labor leader, an intellectual, etc. Most people weren't. As for increased labor discipline, people were mainly happy to get back to work at all. The regime _stayed_ popular through 1944. Basically it was only when the Allies started knocking the door that the popularity went down among ordinary Germans.

Stalinist Russia too, increased living standards and material well being for most of population, certainly over the catastrophe of the Civil War years. The increase was considerable on the average from 1927 to 53, even taking into account the devastation wrought by WWI, which was on a scale that is hard to imagine. 25-50 million dead, the industrial base in absolute ruins, etc. Needless to say Stalinist Russia was a bad place to be if you were a "kulak," a Ukrainian peasant, an intellectual, an old Bolshevik, a relative of an Enemy of the People, in late 30s a party member or an army officer. Most people weren't. Accordingly, both systems were very popular among the masses of ordinary people who not in the groups singled out for persecution or liquidation.

I am here taking the perspective I advocate for honest and objective understanding and evaluation of bad regimes. An awful system need not be uniformly dreadful in every respect. A system that has something good about it need not be in the least acceptable. Popularity tells you something but not much. If Yoshie could look at Iran this way or Chris at Russia, the quality of discussion would be considerable improved.