[lbo-talk] Minority Report (was Southern vs. Northern violence)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 14:22:31 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On May 10, 2007, at 11:33 AM, ravi wrote:
>
> > New England is truly frigid when it comes to interaction with
> > "aliens"
>
>Even to white Yalies from New York. NE is the chilliest damned place
>I've ever been.

Tosh, bosh and oh my gosh. So often traditional New England reticence is misinterpreted as New Englanders' unwillingness to let others violate *their* personal space. Very often, though, I think this just reflects New Englanders' disinclination to risk invading *others'* personal space. This would seem simple courtesy in a nation where aggressive instant intimacy so often characterizes the hustler. I would quote the wise words of writer Florence King, who has observed: "Familiarity doesn't breed contempt. Familiarity *is* contempt." Of course I realize offering this quotation increases my chances of being jeered at since Ms. King (a) is a professed conservative, (b) is a self-admitted misanthrope, and (c) <gasp> is a Southerner.

Full disclosure: My qualifications to speak out on the subject of neighborliness may be open to challenge in any event since I, a transplanted Massachusetts native, have lived on Long Island now for well over twenty years and haven't made a single friend here in all that time.

Hermitically yours,

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507