[lbo-talk] Iraq: pressure for withdrawal grows

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri May 11 10:42:15 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> But the story with the biggest implications yesterday can be told
> with a single eye-popping number: 171. That's the number of House
> members who voted to cut off funding for the war, keeping money in
> place only to bring home virtually all US troops within 90 days. It
> was all about giving liberals a vote on ending the war, and House
> Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-
> Md.) parted ways, but let that sink in: Two Republicans joined 169
> Democrats - more than 70 percent of the caucus – in voting to CUT OFF
> FUNDING FOR THE WAR. Looks like those fears of being painted as anti-
> defense are dissipating fast.

I think some of the strategists are reading your analysis from last year about gas prices and presidential popularity. If they are going to go on the offensive against the Bush regime, now is the time to do it. The right wing pundit theme of "Defeatocrats" ain't going to get much play right now.

Gas is finally over $3.00/gallon here in KC.

Chuck