[lbo-talk] who is the most racist?

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 11 13:53:43 PDT 2007

> It's the way the discussion itself is, or could
be, teetering on participating in (pomo alert ahhhhh!) othering.

But my husband and I are others. We celebrate it. We are integenerational, interracial, from different parts of the country, one is urban and the other is rural.

In fact, the only two things we have in common is an incredible/indelible fabulousness and the knowledge that "Gypsy" is the greates piece of musical theater ever composed.

> Then there's the problem Carroll pointed out, that
the discussion places too much emphasis on individual attitudes.

But unless individual attitudes are changed you are never going to change institutional behavior. The only way queers have made any progress is to get non-queers to abandon their hates and fears about us.

TJ often says that racism was invented by whites for their own advantage and they are the ones who have to end it. Now, if you do not change their attitudes about it, how on earth are you going to get their commitment and help to change institutions?

Brian