[lbo-talk] who is the most racist?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 11 14:12:40 PDT 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 4:53 PM, BklynMagus wrote:

> In fact, the only two things we have in common is
> an incredible/indelible fabulousness and the knowledge
> that "Gypsy" is the greates piece of musical theater
> ever composed.

Sometimes you just go too far, Brian!

>> Then there's the problem Carroll pointed out, that
> the discussion places too much emphasis on individual
> attitudes.
>
> But unless individual attitudes are changed you are never
> going to change institutional behavior. The only way
> queers have made any progress is to get non-queers to
> abandon their hates and fears about us.

Carrol has never really explained how his systemic abstractions express themselves through individuals and small groups. There's History and Politics and Revolution, all of which just seem to happen without actual human agents. There's kind of a "devil made me do it" aspect to this. How'd those cops who shot Eleanor Bumpurs and Amadou Diallo and Sean Bell come to pull the triggers? Is there no way of stopping them pulling the triggers short of some mysterious grand transformation that will happen...how?

Doug