[lbo-talk] snitching debate

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat May 12 01:53:01 PDT 2007

On 5/11/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> One of my favorite old school rappers, Chuck D of Public Enemy, has
> come down heavy on the perversion of snitching and I totally agree
> with him. "The term 'snitch' was best applied to those that ratted
> revolutionaries like Huey P. Newton, Bobby Seale, Che Guevara," he
> said. "Let's not let stupid cats use hip-hop to again twist this
> meaning for the sake of some 'innerganghood' violent drug-thug crime
> dogs, who've sacrificed the black community's women and children."

Interesting to observe the corporate and government counterpart to snitching -- whistleblowing. One difference is that snitching is hiding something from the gov't, while whistleblowing his hiding something from the public.

There's a sales manual for my industry which tells managers not to let engineers talk to people at conventions. Because they're too honest. They'll tell you about the product's current flaws, competitors who might serve your needs better, etc.

Some corporations are secretive to a loony degree, like some they're some kind of secret society hiding secrets from James Bond. One I worked with had this absurd policy of not having an internal network because "hackers" could get in and steal their "AI." Everyone was expected to walk around with a USB stick.

Tayssir