[lbo-talk] snitching debate

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri May 11 19:51:54 PDT 2007

Mr. WD wrote:
> Decades of police brutality and police/state abuse of power against
> people of color have resulted in "informing" being turned into
> "snitching". The question is whether the police can ever be brought
> back in to line. After years of liberal yammering-on about
> police-community partnerships, etc. -- with no long term, substantive
> results that I am aware of -- it's worth asking the question if police
> in a capitalist society can ever be reformed so that they won't have
> an antagonistic relationship with the people who live in poor and
> minority communities. I would say no: Policing attracts individuals
> with authoritarian personalities and the inequalities capitalism
> generates will always create groups of people who will be vulnerable
> to police abuse.

Well said. All police should be abolished. A community can gain very little from the current policing system. One doesn't even have to trot out the endless anecdotes about people who called the police to report truly dangerous individuals, only to find themselves arrested for some violation of drug laws.

WD also makes a good point about all of the sadists and psychos who work for the police. In my years as a protest organizer, I've run across many cops who were cops for the money or because they think they are helping the community. Bur there are also plenty of psychos and sadists--these seem to be the assholes who provoke violent confrontations with protesters. I've gotten emails from these sick individuals and have read their threats posted to activist discussion boards.

I see no problem with the "snitching" label being extended to condemn people who aid the police in non-political instances. If this use of the word insenses the right wing and all of those law-and-order zombies, then perhaps the word should be used. There may be plenty of cases where bad people should be arrested and jailed, but how many innocent people get screwed over when people cooperate with the police.

The anarchist journal The Match has chronicled for several decades all of the bad things that happen to people who foolishly think the cops can help them.

Chuck