[lbo-talk] Why is America so violent

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sun May 13 15:37:45 PDT 2007

I didn't speak to the issue of whether we work less or more. What I said was, it is irrelevant whether or not people are wrong about their subjective experience of work stress and demands on their time. Objective truth about their situation -- you aren't really working more but less! -- isn't going to change a fucking thing. Nor will snidery regarding what they really spend their time on: tv watching. IF people expect more out of their jobs -- like fulfillment etc, I said, then so the fuck what? If those 'great expectations' mean they are disgruntled with their lot in life and feel stressed out, as DH surmised, rilly and trooly, so the fuck what? It is real enough to them to feel stressed out, regardless as to what "baseline" they ought to be measuring their feelings on. The baseline as to what i can expect in bed from my lover has changed one whole helluva lot in the past 2 centuries. I'm really not interested in hearing, if I happen to be with someone who shoots his wad in 2 minutes, that I really ought to remember that years ago, I might have gotten that wad in two minutes and been mopping floors on my hands and knees all day beforehand and maybe an ass whoppin' if I didn't get the floors just right (my great grandma's life, by and large). even my own lesbian relationships have changed tremendously in just two decades as to what I should expect out of life.

speaking of Great Expectations, an excellent read (though dated now) is Elaine Tyler May's work about how 'great expectations' about married life and the disparity between reality and expectations lead to a wave of divorces in the progressive era is quite good.