[lbo-talk] Why is America so violent

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 13 19:10:00 PDT 2007

bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> I didn't speak to the issue of whether we work less or more. What I said
> was, it is irrelevant whether or not people are wrong about their
> subjective experience of work stress and demands on their time. Objective
> truth about their situation --

The numbers offered on this are artifacts which tell us nothing either way about how actual people live. The number 8.63 hours of sleep gives us no information whatever of how many employed people between the ages of 19 and 55 sleep less or more than 8 hours. This topic can't be studied in terms of averages or other indexes.

Also, the only proper comparison is with the _best_ 3 to 5 years in the experience of u.s. workers. Probably the '60s -- at a time when the plan was for everyone to have a 3 day weekend every month. Everything looked so bright in the mid '60s. That is the time to measure by.

Carrol