[lbo-talk] Why is America so violent

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Sun May 13 21:49:13 PDT 2007

> bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:
> >
> > I didn't speak to the issue of whether we work less or more. What I said
> > was, it is irrelevant whether or not people are wrong about their
> > subjective experience of work stress and demands on their time.
Objective
> > truth about their situation --
>
> The numbers offered on this are artifacts which tell us nothing either
> way about how actual people live. The number 8.63 hours of sleep gives
> us no information whatever of how many employed people between the ages
> of 19 and 55 sleep less or more than 8 hours. This topic can't be
> studied in terms of averages or other indexes.
>
> Also, the only proper comparison is with the _best_ 3 to 5 years in the
> experience of u.s. workers. Probably the '60s -- at a time when the plan
> was for everyone to have a 3 day weekend every month. Everything looked
> so bright in the mid '60s. That is the time to measure by.
>
> Carrol

Actually comrade if you re-read my post you would find that it takes issue with measuring leisure at the level of the individual and (b) suggests that despite declining individual working hours that as a class hours have slightly increased overtime. Insert something about the real subsumption of labour and I think we could have some agreement.

Travis