[lbo-talk] Dershowitz regrets having taken Finkelstein's bait

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 21:10:39 PDT 2007

Thought I'd share this treasure from today's Chicago Trib, attributed to Finkelstein's main opponent inside DePaul:

In an internal report now circulating on the Internet, the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Chuck Suchar, writes that Finkelstein's style is inconsistent with "DePaul's Vincentian values," including respect for "the rights of others to hold and express different intellectual positions."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/search/dispatcher.front?Query=finkelstein+tenure&target=article

Let's see. De{aul should can NF because we wish to promote the rights of others to hold an express different intellectual positions. Hmm. Oh, I get it, it's a Zen koan!

Back to Dershowitz:

That may help explain why he
> accepted a job at DePaul, a school Finkelstein
describes as "a third-
> rate Catholic University."

That should certainly improve Dershowitz's standing with Father Holtschneider, Prez of DePaul. (One presumes that the attribution to NF is, like everything else D has ever said, a lie.)

With a political
> science department known
> > as hard left,

Yeah, right, all those Marxists in the DePaul polisci dept. (Can you think of any aside from NF? Well, actually, I have no idea if he's a Marxist.)

Finkelstein finally saw a path
> toward tenure--a sorry
> > possibility now being debated, and one that I may
> have inadvertently
> > helped along.

Let's hope.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss an email again! Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/