[lbo-talk] Junkyard dog hits Motown

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed May 16 08:51:24 PDT 2007

>>> Why is Microsoft so bad at writing software?
>>
>> Because they're a monopoly?
>
> No, because writing software is bloody hard.

I think there's more to it than that. Marketing and Sales have always ruled the roost at Microsoft. So they do things like ship software before they are ready; emphasize feature lists over quality control; and largely exclude developers from product decisions. If you treat people like ugly-step-children, they will exactly meet your expectations (think about that).

There's never been a culture of Software at Microsoft like there is a culture of Product.

/jordan