[lbo-talk] Junkyard dog hits Motown

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed May 16 08:38:56 PDT 2007

On 15 May, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On May 15, 2007, at 9:45 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
>> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 18:08, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>>> Well yeah, but why can't they? Why are the Big Three so bad at
>>> designing cars? I don't get it.
>>
>> Why is Microsoft so bad at writing software?
>
> Because they're a monopoly?

No, because writing software is bloody hard. And Microsoft writes software that is harder than most (compatibility, wide range of hardware support, etc). Look at what a horrible job even those with a minimal and controlled platform like Apple do (poor keyboard navigation support till 10.4, lack of support for data spread across disks in apps like iPhoto, primitive to non-existent synchronisation in applications like iCal, inconsistent, counter-intuitive and crippled UI, application misbehaviour such as iTunes weirdness in its new album cover UI, etc, etc).

I think the use of "science" in "Computer Science" gives a very wrong impression to people, on what the business is all about.

--ravi