[lbo-talk] How To Keep Hostile Jerks From Taking Over Your OnlineCommunity

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu May 17 08:32:01 PDT 2007

On 5/17/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> To sum it up, flame wars and trolling on the internet are produced not by
> personality failures of human actors, but by the medium failure, that is,
> the inability of the medium to convey the essential part of human
> communication - emotional communication.

I think there have been solid advances in social software. For instance, <http://reddit.com/> offers surprisingly reasoned conversations despite being very easy to post on, and despite many different opinions. Future forums could improve further; there's always more room for improvement. The medium's new.

In the real world, there are many situations where reasoned discussion is almost impossible between people. For example, many disputes are resolved through violence.

Tayssir