[lbo-talk] Tehran, the Art Capital of the Middle East

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 17 09:01:38 PDT 2007

Yoshie:

You completely missed the point of the posting, in your haste to attribute its opposite to me. In any case, don't you ever get tired of saying typical things that typical Americans, especially typical immigrants from the countries that are or were America's official enemies, say?

[WS:] If I were a typical EE immigrant, I would be worshipping Reagan and the Bushes, and parroting Brzezinski's anti-communism, instead of fighting the INS to take the armed service clause from my citizenship oath, and publicly proclaiming that communism was the best thing that happened to EE in its entire history.

I re-read your original posting in this thread, and if it meant to be a form of irony, that irony certainly escaped me (my apologies.) However, based on your earlier posting I gather that you tend to despise the US nationalism (dubbed "imperialism") while embracing nationalisms of Third World countries (dubbed "struggle for national independence"). I asked you a direct question about that, but you did not reply, so I assumed that my perception is true.

With that in mind, I would like to reiterate that I equally dislike all nationalisms - be it US, European, or Third World. However, if I were to choose between them, I would choose the US or European variety, because it provides a much better guarantee of democratic governance, the rule of law, and the protection of human rights. People like me (and you) need those protections far more than your average Joe Sixpack.

Wojtek