[lbo-talk] Tehran, the Art Capital of the Middle East

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu May 17 06:07:05 PDT 2007

On 5/16/07, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not sure that Tehran has usurped Beirut's place as the
> "Paris of the Middle East." A week or so ago I sort of
> randomly forwarded news about a Beirut art gallery
> opening that featured erotic female nudes, some shown
> masturbating, etc.
<snip>
> Just Google "Paris of the Middle East" - tons of
> cultural and artistic activities come up re: Beirut.

You mean the Erotika show that you mentioned: <http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2007/04/erotika_exhibit_1.php>? Aside from the subject matter, though, what's interesting about it? As far as its style is concerned, there's little that can be said for it.

As for the "Paris of the Middle East," aside from the legacy of French colonialism, the main thing that Paris and Beirut now have in common is the ideology of the new President of France and the same old Prime Minister of Lebanon.

> <http://fleshbot.com/sex/exhibitionism/hairong-tiantian-art-in-a-box-
> with-crotchless-fishnets-260996.php>
>
> Hairong Tiantian: Art In A Box (With Crotchless Fishnets!)
<snip>
> First of all, her name is Hairong Tiantian and for the
> last few weeks she's been living on the street in Beijing. Actually,
> not on the street so much as living in a glass box, alongside a male
> artist in his own box. They're sealed off from each other and the
> rest of the world, but completely on display for anyone who cares to
> watch. It's supposed to be an artistic comment on the "isolation of
> many couples in today's hectic, time-starved world" but it's mostly
> become an exhibition of Tiantian and the sexy lingerie that she spend
> most of her day lounging around in; the only symbolism that passersby
> seem to be contemplating involves her baby doll outfits and fishnet
> stockings.

That is a common fate of "art" under capitalism. It looks like "contemporary art" has ceased to be contemporary, at least since around the time of Fluxus.

On 5/16/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> I think you should kiss the American soil in
> gratitude for protecting your right to post

You completely missed the point of the posting, in your haste to attribute its opposite to me. In any case, don't you ever get tired of saying typical things that typical Americans, especially typical immigrants from the countries that are or were America's official enemies, say? -- Yoshie