[lbo-talk] How To Keep Hostile Jerks From Taking Over Your OnlineCommunity

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 04:36:21 PDT 2007

On 5/18/07, Tayssir John Gabbour <tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:
> In my experience, the system works fine, with relatively few problems.
> There are of course holes, but I think it scales better than central
> moderation, especially where there's a scary warning as you walk in,
> with the feeling you're entering hostile territory.

And I should mention Clay Shirky's observation that a "group is its own worst enemy":

"Religious veneration. [...] You can see this pattern on the

Internet any day you like. Go onto a Tolkein newsgroup or

discussion forum, and try saying "You know, The Two Towers is a

little dull. I mean loooong. We didn't need that much description

about the forest, because it's pretty much the same forest all the

way."

"Try having that discussion. On the door of the group it will say:

"This is for discussing the works of Tolkein." Go in and try and

have that discussion.

"Now, in some places people say "Yes, but it needed to, because it

had to convey the sense of lassitude," or whatever. But in most

places you'll simply be flamed to high heaven, because you're

interfering with the religious text.

"So these are human patterns that have shown up on the Internet,

not because of the software, but because it's being used by

humans."

<http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html>

I frequently think that online forums perceive nonconformist outsiders to be the enemy, when oftentimes their own hostility and overreaction is the real problem.

This can hold true for offline groups as well.

Tayssir