[lbo-talk] How To Keep Hostile Jerks From Taking Over Your OnlineCommunity

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 04:31:36 PDT 2007

On 5/17/07, Bob Morris <bob.morris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Big blogs like crooksandliars have several people that moderate comments.
> There's no other way to do it but moderation that I know of.

Reddit's solution (and I'm not saying it's perfect, but it seems pretty effective) appears to be that the community can push a simple up or down arrow next to each comment. Supposedly, admins don't normally intervene.

Usually this arrow system just fulfills the role of applause/boos -- I initially suspected this was a bad idea, but maybe it's a good feedback system; you get an idea of what people want to read. Many won't down-arrow you if you write a well-reasoned comment which they strongly disagree with.

With enough down-arrows, the comment is mostly hidden from view. (But a clickable sliver of it remains, if you wish to look.)

In my experience, the system works fine, with relatively few problems. There are of course holes, but I think it scales better than central moderation, especially where there's a scary warning as you walk in, with the feeling you're entering hostile territory.

Tayssir