[lbo-talk] How To Keep Hostile Jerks From Taking Over Your OnlineCommunity

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 17 16:02:02 PDT 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Bob Morris wrote:

> Big blogs like crooksandliars have several people that moderate
> comments.
> There's no other way to do it but moderation that I know of.

Gawker invites people to be commenters, or confers commenter status if you submit something witty or interesting. And every week they fire about 4 or 5 commenters - they used to be called ritual executions, and be illustrated with a photo of a guillotine, but after the Va Tech massacre, they renamed them commenter redundancies. The comments are still mostly not so good, but that does provide some quality control.

Doug