[lbo-talk] Fall in love with Hitchens all over again

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 18 08:25:52 PDT 2007

Ravi:

I don't know about you guys but as far as I am concerned, all is forgiven! ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/2okd9o

[WS:] I am pretty much with you on this, Ravi. I did not feel very bad about Hitchens to begin with, since his repudiation of the left's stale mantra was for the most part justified. However, his willingness to openly and publicly blast religion, that sacred cow of the warped American psyche, is truly commendable and borders on heroism. I think he is more useful in that role than when he was parroting the stale mantras of the left.

However, I am afraid that his appearance on that show was not very favorable - he mumbles, looks sly and duplicitous, whereas Reed and Hannity appeared eloquent, decent and sincere. This tends to me true of most intellectuals, and that is why they are often marginalized in public debates by demagogues and mountebanks like Reed, Hannity & Co, who personally might be vile pieces of shit, but are very skilled in maintaining the right public image.

Wojtek