[lbo-talk] Fall in love with Hitchens all over again

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri May 18 09:01:50 PDT 2007

On 18 May, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> However, I am afraid that his appearance on that show was not very
> favorable
> - he mumbles, looks sly and duplicitous, whereas Reed and Hannity
> appeared
> eloquent, decent and sincere. This tends to me true of most
> intellectuals,
> and that is why they are often marginalized in public debates by
> demagogues
> and mountebanks like Reed, Hannity & Co, who personally might be
> vile pieces
> of shit, but are very skilled in maintaining the right public image.

I am not sure about it... I felt despite the mumbling and shiftiness, he came across more sophisticated/smart, certain and funny/quick (he managed to get in jibes about Reed's Abramoff connections), whereas Hannity looked whiny and inconsistent/cowardly. But I think you may be right given my understanding of how rhetoric works in the USA: Hannity (i.e., right-winger, Christian, etc) doing what Hitch did would be considered punchy, combative (a +ve attribute), etc. The left doing what Hannity did ("You are so mean") would be considered "whiny". But the standard is not applied similarly in reverse.

--ravi