[lbo-talk] crime rising in US cities

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 21 19:10:37 PDT 2007

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Someone with wonky stats and studies at their
> fingertips will no doubt correct me (and I welcome it)
> but I believe the countermeasure, the "answer", is
> straightforward: community policing, in some well
> designed and relevant form.

There is a necessary (and just possibly sufficient) condition for any such thing. Take the cops out of their squad cars and put them on foot. Instant magical change of cop/community relations. The likelihood of this happening is . . .? But as long as cops are in their squad cars there will be no community policing.

Carrol