[lbo-talk] A public square

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue May 22 09:04:13 PDT 2007

Miles writes:

> Most college professors could earn way more money in the
> corporate world than they do in the academic world.

While I'm sure there are some do-gooders out there, my experience is that "Most" is an exageration. It's a whole different set of skills and experiences that are required to perform a job than to introduce students to it. I'd say that it's a fairly rare person indeed who could be successful as a practitioner and chooses instead to be successful as a professor (or vice-versa). Even in the operationally-heavy tech world, very few professors can make the leap successfully.

/jordan