[lbo-talk] crime rising in US cities

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue May 22 12:22:40 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'll bet the massive deployment of surveillance cameras would draw
> massive public support. In that case, who's the "we" you're talking
> about?

Mostly the Woj faction.

Dwayne's post about how he helped activists in Philly is very interesting. People are worried about crime and they do support Orwellian technology like more cameras. The Left has been unable or uninterested to explain alternatives, much to our own misfortune. How do we propose to deal with "crime" in people's neighborhoods? We can't just go around and say that capitalism is the problem, or current U.S. foreign policies. We also shouldn't advocate that people vote for the Democrats--people are too smart and cynical to buy into electoralism as a way to fight problems.

Earlier today I posted about crime in KC on my blog. Kind of related.

Chuck http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/