[lbo-talk] crime rising in US cities

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue May 22 12:54:18 PDT 2007

On 22 May, 2007, at 3:22 PM, Chuck wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> I'll bet the massive deployment of surveillance cameras would draw
>> massive public support. In that case, who's the "we" you're talking
>> about?
>
> Mostly the Woj faction.

I think that would include me. I remain cautiously pessimistic about anything but very small increasing though non-monotonic progressive change, but I am fairly sure it will come in spite of Americans, not because of us.

> The Left has been unable or
> uninterested to explain alternatives, much to our own misfortune.
> How do
> we propose to deal with "crime" in people's neighborhoods? We can't
> just
> go around and say that capitalism is the problem, or current U.S.
> foreign policies. We also shouldn't advocate that people vote for the
> Democrats--people are too smart and cynical to buy into
> electoralism as
> a way to fight problems.

Lot of "unable"s and "shouldn't"s, but no "should"s. I don't blame you for that, pessimistic though it may sound.

--ravi