[lbo-talk] Crime rising...

Stephen Philion stephen_philion at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 21:40:31 PDT 2007

Jim S wrote: That sounds a bit out there to me. I'm sure if the police cordoned off white areas first it might have heigtened the riot on korean areas, but the idea that there was not interethnic conflict there? Ever heard of latasha harlins? Mike Davis describes the riots as being one part black rebellion aginst the pd, one part latino postmodern bread riot, and one part pogrom against korean business owners.

--Haven't read Davis' book, but the Abelmann and Lie book was based on pretty extensive interviews with Koreans in the aftermath of the riots. The one thing they found was resentment at the way Koreans viewed the riots since Koreans were rarely the ones speaking about how Koreans actually viewed the riots. --------------------------------

I hear people argue sometimes that conflict between different groups of people of color doesn't exist, white people just hype it up.... which seems pretty wrong to me. In CA its a massive aspect of the racial landscape.

--No, that's certainly not what Ablelmann and Lie are saying, or at least the denial element. Of course there exists conflict between communities of color and the Latasha Harlins incident is covered as well by Abelmann and Lie. But they did find resentment at the way that incidents like that were read as 'causing' the riots in the American media or even that they were significant in how the riots transpired.

Steve

Stephen Philion Assistant Professor St. Cloud State University Department of Sociology and Anthropology

http://stephenphilion.efoliomn2.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222