[lbo-talk] Memorial Day

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 22:31:44 PDT 2007

I am no fan of the US military and have always focused more on the tragedy of Iraqi casualties from Bush's criminal war than that of US armed forces personnel. My POV is that these soldiers are professionals and chose to put themselves at risk; that they are typically reactionaries who take pride in sheer military might; and that a great many of them have casually brutalized Iraqis.

Whatever the truth of all that, I just saw a Memorial Day photo at the NY Times website that broke my heart and reminded me how much all victims of war deserve the greatest sympathy. The caption of this photo reads: "The country began its Memorial Day observances. Mary McHugh visited the grave of her fiancé, Sgt. James J. Regan, who was killed in Iraq." But Ms. McHugh isn't shown just visiting the grave -- she's shown lying, extended, face-down on the grave in what can only be described as a romantic embrace. I have seen many horrifying scenes of intense misery throughout this war, but I have seen no sight more sorrowful than that of this young woman prostrate with grief on the grave of her dead lover.

The photo is at <http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/27/world/28vigil-2-337.jpg>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507