[lbo-talk] Memorial Day

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon May 28 07:03:26 PDT 2007

>From: Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > Whatever the truth of all that, I just saw a Memorial Day photo at the
> > NY Times website that broke my heart and reminded me how much all
> > victims of war deserve the greatest sympathy. The caption of this photo
> > reads: "The country began its Memorial Day observances. Mary McHugh
> > visited the grave of her fiancé, Sgt. James J. Regan, who was killed in
> > Iraq." But Ms. McHugh isn't shown just visiting the grave -- she's
> > shown lying, extended, face-down on the grave in what can only be
> > described as a romantic embrace. I have seen many horrifying scenes of
> > intense misery throughout this war, but I have seen no sight more
> > sorrowful than that of this young woman prostrate with grief on the
> > grave of her dead lover.
>
>That photo broke my heart too.
>
>What a fucking waste, all of the thousands of Americans, Iraqis and
>others killed.
>
>It's just fucking obscene that we aren't rioting in the streets,
>demanding the immediate removal of the Bush regime.

Nope, sorry. The only protest I see spotlighted in today's news is the protest led by Paul Wolfowitz on behalf of himself:

Wolfowitz Blames Media for Resignation

LONDON (AP) -- Departing World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz in a radio interview broadcast Monday blamed an overheated atmosphere at the bank and in the media for forcing him to resign.

Wolfowitz, who has announced he will step down June 30, denied suggestions that his decision to leave was influenced by an apparent lack of support from the bank's employees.

''I think it tells us more about the media than about the bank and I'll leave it at that,'' he told the British Broadcasting Corp. ''People were reacting to a whole string of inaccurate statements and by the time we got to anything approximating accuracy the passions were around the bend.''

Wolfowitz said that he was pleased the bank's board accepted that he had acted ethically, and in good faith in his handling of a generous compensation package for his girlfriend and bank employee Shaha Riza in 2005.

''I accept the fact that by the time we got around to that, emotions here were so overheated that I don't think I could have accomplished what I wanted to accomplish for the people I really care about,'' he said. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-World-Bank-Wolfowitz.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507