[lbo-talk] dev'ts in world economy and foreign ownership

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 28 16:06:54 PDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The Iraq War has ended up eroding the _political hegemony_ of the US
> power elite. And yet the Iraq War has not hurt the US capitalists'
> _economic bottom line_ yet.

Well yeah, but that's part of the point I'm making about the ruling class. It's unable to think in any other terms than current profits; it's a monied class that can't think about its long-term interests. It would be sensible to be worried about the c/a deficit and growing foreign debt, but too many people are making money on it for it to matter. Capitalists aren't the same as a r.c., or shouldn't be, but they mostly are right now.

Doug