[lbo-talk] dev'ts in world economy and foreign ownership

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon May 28 17:01:46 PDT 2007

> On May 28, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> > That's the part that puzzles me: why didn't they see that coming?
> > Did they really think Iraq would be like Timor, or Kosovo?
>
> It depends on which "they" you mean. The CIA projected something like
> what happened. I had people on my radio show who projected something
> like what happened. Cheney, Wolfowitz, Feith, and the rest of the
> gang didn't want to listen.

And an influential US Army War College paper was reasonable:

"If the war is rapid with few civilian casualties, the occupation

will probably be characterized by an initial honeymoon period

during which the United States will reap the benefits of ridding

the population of a brutal dictator. Nevertheless, most Iraqis

and most other Arabs will probably assume that the United States

intervened in Iraq for its own reasons and not to liberate the

population. Long-term gratitude is unlikely and suspicion of U.S.

motives will increase as the occupation continues. A force

initially viewed as liberators can rapidly be relegated to the

status of invaders should an unwelcome occupation continue for a

prolonged time. Occupation problems may be especially acute if the

United States must implement the bulk of the occupation itself

rather than turn these duties over to a postwar international

force. Regionally, the occupation will be viewed with great

skepticism, which may only be overcome by the population's rapid

progress toward a secure and prosperous way of life."

<http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/display.cfm?pubID=182>

Why did the Bush administration screw up? The most convincing explanation I've personally heard is that it's organizational problems -- "failure of leadership," as liberals say. Preferring yes-men over competence, and so forth. (But this explanation could be wrong.)

It's not like the Bush administration is completely all-around incompetent. They pull off difficult victories against Dems and gave many gifts to the wealthy. Bush is still around.

Not to single out the right, I just started reading these (friendly) critiques of leftist organizations... <http://www.zmag.org/WITBU/witbuTOC.html>

Or for those who prefer video... <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3622753371052484817>

Tayssir