[lbo-talk] Memorial Day

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon May 28 21:23:23 PDT 2007

``Yes disturbing, beautiful, slightly titilating and exclusive... The photo selections for these pieces always show us that there is a certain kind of grief that we should care for and not other kinds of grief...

In these cases, the cases of grief caused by man folly, and the cases of the representation of grief by big corporations on their front pages, the uglier the better. Fuck beauty!'' JM

-----------

With you 100 percent. Yes, nobody cared about Cindy Sheehan's grief, and that is probably why she turned to political action---no matter how impotent, futile, hopeless. Good for her, whatever the outcome. Good for her. Screw the lady on the grave. Get up off your ass and do something about it honey.

I am quite nasty hearted, cynical, and cold about all this. Fuck Memorial Day. Suck my big ugly, sixty-four year old, narly, peace loving, anti-war cock. May you get a terminal yeast infection doing so.

You want to die for Iraq, be my guest---but for chirstsakes quit your whining.

You join the Army, count on being killed or crippled for nothing. Suck it up heros. You are meat. You sign up, you sign up everybody who loves you for grief. Get a real job.

I am not going to entertain myself for one minute gazing on this schlock, which will end up in an archive book on America and Iraq---no doubt to be published in the Time-Life series on 21thC great tragedies of war. I piss on the graves with glee. You stupid motherfuckers, what did you expect? Love a soldier and you will cry, stupid girl.

Meanwhile I see tonight Bush chooses a sad eight year old boy to twist into a heart skewer message. Nice stuff George you worthless motherfucker. You have the gall to manipulate a little boy, when you dodged Vietnam? Loathing my dear. Loathing you. I guess your handlers hadn't seen the NYC photo when they arranged this farce at Arlington.

Sorry, I don't grieve well.

My loathing and fury has no bounds when it comes to this shit we are fed day in and day out.

Dwayne has a much more level headed view:

``This is what I see when I look at that photo - a severed link, a lost chance, an unspeakable crime...''

What I see is the death of the future--and my own death. We are not going to get away with this. In fact, we are going suffer it---and that is what angers me, going down for nothing but a stupidity. Hemingway opened his novel on the Spanish Civil War with a quote from John Donne:

``No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.''

Fine words. But consider when the island, the piece of continent, the clod, manor, and the deaths are wretched from their place for an atrocity, a deformed horror based on lies, cupidity, and the incredulous. What has been diminished by that? What bell tolls then?

My own answer is the leering death mask of history, laughing.

CG