[lbo-talk] Memorial Day

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 21:58:27 PDT 2007

I'd just encourage people on this list to be very careful about expressing any sentiments that might be construed as calling _in any way_ for political violence. The Patriot Act and its satellites are no joke.

An American Muslim physician and his associates in NY were recently convicted of conspiring to provide material assistance to a terrorist organization for allegedly agreeing -- no more action, apparently, was involved -- to provide medical care to al-Qaida militants, not even in connection with any specific illegal action that al-Qaida was supposedly contemplating, but just in general. On that theory, you could convict any physician who took the Hippocratic Oath of conspiring to provide material aid to a terrorist organization. And that's not even for conspiring to commit an unlawful violent act, but just for providing medical care.

So it's really wise to not say dumb things. Please, no one else one on the list agree with Chuck here, or we could all get hauled in as co-conspirators.

Even if a prosecution didn't hold up in the end, it would tie up the ACLU and the NLG in litigation, using our scarce resources unnecessarily. Assuming, of course, that after Lynn Stewart it is lawful and not material aid to terrorism to provide legal defense for those accused of violations of the anti-terrorist laws.

____________________________________________________________________________________ We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265