[lbo-talk] dev'ts in world economy and foreign ownership

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 29 09:42:27 PDT 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:

>> But you forgot all their warnings once the US troops went in, much
> like most Americans, and you didn't change your mind and come out for
> US withdrawal until it became clear that Washington couldn't pacify
> Iraq.
>
> Yoshie, are you really saying this to Doug? Or to a majority on
> this list?

I missed this the first time around because reading every word of Yoshie's would be unproductively time-consuming. But this bit is really offensive and dishonest. I said from the first that opponents of the war in the US should take their cue from what Iraqis want - a point that you & Carrol always found incomprehensible, presumably because you already knew what Iraqis wanted, or should want. In the summer of 2003, it seemed like a lot of Iraqis did not want an immediate US withdrawal, or that they wanted some UN-without-the-US force to keep the peace in a country whose state our military had destroyed. It's plain now that most Iraqis want the US out.

Doug