[lbo-talk] dev'ts in world economy and foreign ownership

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:54:48 PDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Gar Lipow <the.typo.boy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >But you forgot all their warnings once the US troops went in, much
> like most Americans, and you didn't change your mind and come out for
> US withdrawal until it became clear that Washington couldn't pacify
> Iraq.
>
> Yoshie, are you really saying this to Doug? Or to a majority on this list?

I have no way of knowing lurkers' opinions, but for a longest time a majority of people on this mailing list kept saying that Washington couldn't and shouldn't just withdraw US troops, we must arrange for substitute peace-keepers first (as if anyone wanted to go in!), we must reconstruct Iraq first (as if we ever would!), we must support Sistani, et al.'s call for elections first (God only knows why anyone thought that was a good idea), and so on and so forth. It was the same way at the steering committee of United for Peace and Justice. Only a few unreconstructed Marxists thought that was all BS.

> I said from the first that opponents
> of the war in the US should take their cue from what Iraqis want

Gauged by opinion polls taken under the occupation, no less, as if such polls had anything to do with truth. -- Yoshie