[lbo-talk] From a report about P. Cockburn's visit to Australia...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 31 20:42:44 PDT 2007

> Katharine Viner
>

> May 28, 2007 4:00 PM |
> Iraq: it's worse than you can possibly imagine, and worse than we can
> possibly know.
>
> That was the message when the brilliant Middle East reporter, Patrick
> Cockburn, spoke on stage today at Hay, publicising his book about the
> British and American occupation of Iraq.
>
> Iraq, he said, is a country that's been "hollowed out". Two million people
> have left. At least 3,000 civilians are murdered every month.
> The rest live in terror.
>
> He told of details that give a real sense of what's going on. Because
there are no more open-air markets, since so many have been bombed, people have
> set up stalls in side streets or their back gardens instead. Before the
war, there were 32,000 doctors in Iraq; now 2,000 are dead, 12,000 have left, and the remainder, who are seen as having money and are thus targets for
> kidnappers, must work from armed- guarded clinics.
>
> He reminded us about the Green Zone, the giant fortified area in the
centre of Baghdad - while most of the city doesn't get electricity or water or
> sewage disposal, the Green Zone gets plenty, so the occupiers who live
there have no idea what it feels like to live anywhere else.

> He discussed "one of the great thefts in history", the "enormous
> kleptocracy" , that started with Paul Bremer's Coalition Provisional
> Authority, which, infamously, didn't keep accounts. (They believed that
all money spent would miraculously "trickle down".)

> Cockburn is one of the brave few British journalists who still report from
> Iraq. He described just how difficult it is to do so: he can't go anywhere
> for more than 20 minutes; he can't make an appointment; he can't mention
to > anyone where he might be going, he meticulously avoids traffic jams. And
> those measures are just to "increase the odds in your favour", he said.
>
> There may have been a plethora of books on Iraq, but most see the country
as > only a "backdrop" for what is "real and significant" - ie, Washington
> politics. But Cockburn, thank goodness, is different; he tries to see the
> occupation the way Iraqis see it.
>
> He talked of cities that reporters rarely get to, such as Mosul and
Kirkuk, where we don't know just how bad the violence is; he stressed that even the > conservative official figures record that at least 3,000 civilians are
> murdered every month. It is a "society pulsating with fear the whole
time".

> Someone in the audience wondered if really the situation isn't so bad,
that > this is just the "Iraqi way of going about things" and it would all even

An injury to one is an injury to all http://www.iww.org.au/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433