[lbo-talk] From a report about P. Cockburn's visit to Australia...

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu May 31 21:01:11 PDT 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 23:42, Mike Ballard wrote:

> > "That's baloney," said Cockburn. "This is the worst thing to happen to
> > Iraqis since 1258, when the Mongols invaded and took Baghdad."

That's a wonderful and droll comparison, but excessively flattering to the US. Most of us can't even ride horses. Our "troops" are even more preposterous than late-mediaeval chivalry -- they're wearing body armor, inside an armored vehicle, with infrared googles and air support up the wazoo and Phoenix-program CIA types "embedded" to finger the bad guys -- and they're still getting slaughtered. Shades of Agincourt, Crecy, Poitiers.

*Hoists a glass* Here's to the improvisers.