[lbo-talk] Political-biological determininsm ( US fascism awareness week)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 12:53:33 PDT 2007

I don't think it makes sense to call something "fascist" unless it incorporates the central tenant of Fascism, the Total State, and I think we can agree that whatever the Confederacy was, it was not totalitarian. Maybe for the slaves it was. I'd have to think/learn more about that.

I think it is valid to consider Nazim to be a variant of Fascism that added a virulent racist component to the ideology. I don't see how the Confederacy could be so considered, unless one is employeeing some kind of circular "virulent racism = fascism" argument, which would have the counterintuitive result that the Mussolini was not a fascist.