[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 15:08:43 PDT 2007

>When I first joined the list people mentioned Adorno a lot
>so I thought I should read him. I decided to start with his
>jazz writings since I love jazz and felt I could ease my way
>into Adorno. But what he wrote was symptomatic of a perosn
>who did not get out much since he did not imaginatively
>enter the music he was listening to (a much more serious issue
>than just "liking what he likes"). I got the impression that
>he could only understand pleasure in a very limited, caustic
>way.
>
>Brian

Adorno wrote very few articles on jazz and what he was writing about was not jazz as we think of it, but a peculiar German version commercially popular at the time. His writings on "jazz" are probably not the best thing to start with. It would be akin to me reading you starting with what you write about the Sopranos. I wouldn't be much interested if that's all I knew about you. ; )

When I think of Adorno I don't think of his writing on jazz, I think of Minima Moralia.