[lbo-talk] Ron Paul clip from Leno, mentions Austrian economics & abolishing IRS

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 00:42:59 PDT 2007

Yeah, I know. They obviously mean "market anarchists" -- I guess. (?) Folks of the Murray Rothbard school. "Right minarchists." LewRockwell.com, for example, is having an orgasm over Ron Paul.

It's hard to equate being against abortion, and esp. the repeal of Roe v. Wade -- hard to equate that with anarchism, as I understand it. Some Paul supporters have said that equating his fans with "anarchists" is a smear tactic concocted by the anti-Ron Paul media. Remember, nobody likes anarchists, still. It's a smear term in realpolitik. But honestly, the cult of white twenty- and thirty-somethings that are attracted to this guy -- it just pisses me off. He says things like "I wanna abolish the IRS!" that gets cheap applause. But his libertarianism is pretty selective, like most so-called "Libertarians" in the US. Libertarian on this, heavy hand of govt. on that.

-B.

B. wrote:

"Also, TIME.com menioned 'anarchists' are going to try to raise $10 million US on November 5, Guy Fawkes Day, for Ron Paul. They're equating Paul with the protagonist of 'V for Vendetta.'"

Chuck wrote:

"Of course, there is no such effort by anarchists to support Ron Paul. Perhaps it's a good thing that major mags like Time are having circulation problems. They can't even bother with basic fact-checking any more."