[lbo-talk] gimps gone wild

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 5 18:29:18 PST 2007

<http://jezebel.com/gossip/it.s-hard-out-here-for-a-gimp/handicapped- porno-offensive-or-inclusive-319241.php>

it's hard out here for a gimp Handicapped Porno: Offensive Or Inclusive?

When you think of amputees, dwarves, people with Cerebral palsy, or wheelchair-bound individuals in sexualized situations, it seems wrong, doesn't it? Particularly when those situations are photographed or filmed for the enjoyment of others, right? Instinctively, people assume that anyone who could get off to handicapped porn is a sicko and that the anyone featured in a handicapped porn is being taken advantage of. But is that just our own prejudices at play? Enter Gimps Gone Wild, an adult site featuring nude photos and video of people with varying disabilities, founded by "Kitten," a handicapped young woman who noticed a lack of wheelchair porno in her local smut shop. She started the site in 2002, saying:

I want to show the world a 3-foot wheelchair vamp dwarf can be sexy. It not only helps my own self-confidence, but I get mail from adoring female fans thanking me for being a role model. I am strong, beautiful and sexy, with a motor to propel me. Love me or hate me, this job gets people with disabilities noticed as sexual beings, and that can only be a positive thing! Aww! Sometimes porno can bring on a warm feeling that isn't damp and sticky.

Obviously, the models on GGW will fulfill the fantasies of people with fetishes for that sort of thing, and the idea that they will be objectified is probably what makes others question how ethical the site really is. But the models aren't mentally disabled, just physically. They're able to decide what's best for them. And isn't every person selling themselves in such a capacity in that industry subject to objectification? That's just the nature of porno. Wanting to protect the disabled from participating in porno is reminiscent of how women in the sex industry have always been viewed as vulnerable beings that need to be saved.

Gimps Gone Wild

<http://www.gimpsgonewild.com/>

Opens Doors for Disabled Models [AVN] <http://www.avn.com/index.cfm?objectID=11B1534F-BDA2- D8C5-28AEDF1BDE5B63D6>

7:30 PM ON MON NOV 5 2007 BY SLUT MACHINE