[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Nov 5 20:50:47 PST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 11:32 PM, ravi wrote:
> On 4 Nov, 2007, at 22:53 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> On Nov 4, 2007, at 10:39 PM, ravi wrote:
>>
>>> But what is the real difference? In reality, Kerry and Bush belong
>>> the same class.
>>
>> Gee, they do?
>>
>> The point is the Bush people were marketing to a particular deeply
>> embedded feature of American political culture.
>
> The point is that whatever it is, it is not class consciousness. So,
> the "attacks" on Kerry (feminisation, etc) are not against a class
> except in a set theoretical sense. Ergo, they cannot be class insults.

[Small correction: nix the "So" at the start of the second sentence]

Another way to restate my point is that the attack is not on the upper class but the upper crust. If at all, it translates to class only in some archaic feudal sense of the landed gentry, not the robber-barons. "Homeland" upper classmen are successful industrialists and entrepreneurs to be adored or emulated.

--ravi