[lbo-talk] Windows question

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 8 05:17:57 PST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 1:45 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2007, at 10:47 PM, ravi wrote:
> > You are required to register your computer (online or using the phone)
> > within N (= 120?) days of buying the OS. At that time, XP computes a
> > hardware signature of your machine, which is used to generate a hash/
> > key which is then stored on your computer. Should the computed
> > signature change subsequently for your system then you lose the
> > authorisation.
>
> Wow. Apple, a company that's no stranger to DRM, does no such thing.
> And they're not exactly hurting for money.

I wondered about this, and suspect one reason is that Apple's customers are said to be more willing to pay for software than Microsoft's customers. Another guess is that computing companies tend not to put the screws on customers until they're dominant.

(That said, I have no idea what the Software Update reports...)

Tayssir