[lbo-talk] Windows question

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Nov 8 08:49:27 PST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2007, at 10:47 PM, ravi wrote:
>
>> You are required to register your computer (online or using the
>> phone)
>> within N (= 120?) days of buying the OS. At that time, XP computes a
>> hardware signature of your machine, which is used to generate a hash/
>> key which is then stored on your computer. Should the computed
>> signature change subsequently for your system then you lose the
>> authorisation.
>
> Wow. Apple, a company that's no stranger to DRM, does no such thing.
> And they're not exactly hurting for money.

Yeah Leopard upgrades without a key, etc (only iWork thus far has actually prompted for a key). Apple customers are used to spending money (especially on hardware), I guess, and piracy even helps Apple -- the first hit is free, etc.

Re: Intel Macs. Yes they are faster because of the CPU, but as someone pointed out its also because these are newer dual-core chips, with a faster bus, etc, etc. Its not an entirely fair comparison. Re: OEM Windows, its generally cheaper because (AFAIK) its tied to a system i.e., as per the Windows license you cannot just willy-nilly buy an OEM copy and install it on any system.

--ravi