[lbo-talk] counting to 200 -- how about 500

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 9 05:24:36 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Joanna is probably correct here, but still I think it best for
> > political
> > reasons always to emphasize systemic elements rather than individual
> > criminality.
>
> On some level I agree with you, but most people don't get this
> systemic stuff. They only get individual criminality. I say that from
> more than 20 years of experience in trying to talk systemically.
> People get bored. They want to hear about thugs and scumbags.

Which brings me back to my point that people are changed (a) by conditions which cause them to look for something to change to and (b) personal conversation, not books or radio broadcasts or journals. That is why an organizer/agitator talks only to people who already _on some one point_, agree with him/her. That one point can be something like individual criminality.

Carrol