[lbo-talk] counting to 200 -- how about 500

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 07:52:27 PST 2007

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> The ball is round. No, it's orange. No, its rubber.
> No it's scorched.
> No, it's 3 inches in diameter. No, it's lying on the
> table. What an
> absurd view of Marx, Freud, Sartre. I don't know
> about the structuralists.

You seem to be describing the structuralist here. What Murdoch says about Marx, Freud and Sartre, and structuralism, is that they treat the realm of personal opinion, value, moral decision, as a realm of illusion (false consciousness, ideology, superego, inauthenticity, etc), inferior to abstract determinants like class, the unconscious, "authentic freedom" and language.

I dont think she's denying the insight of any of the writers mentioned, but stating that none of them does away with, or relieves us from, the murky realm of private moral struggle she believes (as a novelist perhaps) we all live in.

BobW