[lbo-talk] counting to 200 -- how about 500

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 10 08:05:08 PST 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:

> I dont think she's denying the insight of any of the
> writers mentioned, but stating that none of them does
> away with, or relieves us from, the murky realm of
> private moral struggle she believes (as a novelist
> perhaps) we all live in.

She denies both the insight _and_ the murky realm by thinking that discussion of one is any indication whatever of any particular opinion on the other.

It is as though someone were to suggest that quantum physicists lacked an appreciation of the art of adjusting oven temperature for baking bread. At a certain level of abstraction, certain propositions are true, PERIOD. And for someone to say that those propositions don't explain something at another level of abstraction is pure obscurantism. Of course they don't -- and that is utterly irrelevant. A study of oven temperatures doesn't explain General Relativity. Big Deal. General RElativity doesn't explain oven temperatures. Big Deal.

Carrol