[lbo-talk] counting to 200 -- how about 500

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 17:25:12 PST 2007

--- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

(BW)"Does that tell you how to help an alcoholic friend, or what you should do about a child who's acting out?"

(MJ)What do either of these scenarios have to do with "private moral struggles"? (Serious question.)

(BW)I'll grant you, these are more psychological than moral dilemmas, though the first becomes moral if your friend is having an affair with another friend's wife. Do you distance yourself to show disapproval or get in the thick of it to try to help? The moral always come up when you take the convenient, more comfortable course. My point though is that an analysis of the social relations of the parties doesnt tell you what's the right thing to do.

Bob